Always remember, your focus determines your reality” -George Lucas
Are you aware of your attention? According to Deepak Chopra intention transforms while attention creates. Consequently, if your mind is wandering most of the time, chances are you haven’t certainty of the kind of life you are creating.
Why is focus so important? Because it sets your own direction in life. Author Daniel Goleman calls it the hidden driver of excellence. Research shows that people who struggle with focus tend to be less happy, probably because of mind’s tendency toward negativity.When you are focused on the good side of life, sadness will have a hard time to gain control over your mind. Click To Tweet
When you are focused on the good side of life, sadness will have a hard time to gain control over your mind. But be gentle with yourself because focus doesn’t come naturally, is a skill that needs to be developed.
Here are 10 simple but powerful ways to train your mind to focus better:
- Generate a list of tasks you have to do based on your goals and intention for the day. Initially, in order to avoid frustration, select no more than three key goals to be focused throughout the day.
- Apply a time blocking strategy where you ask yourself: “What specific step I am going to take right now?” Choose a task that will take you closer to where you want to be and set a realistic period of time to complete it. Decide to be focused on it during that period of time. If you feel it would help, you may set an alarm or use a timer. Begin with short periods and start building on that.
- Be in the present moment. Become a witness of your thoughts and acknowledge when your mind has wandered off.
- Center your attention on the outcome you expect, no the obstacles.
- Become aware of what you can control and dismiss what you can’t.
- Explore activities or pastimes that could be of your interest. When you are doing something you love, you become so focused that it feels like time stopped.
- Read stories of success without interruption for a determined time. This serves principally two purposes. The first one is to maintain your focus on a single thing, and the second one is to focus on optimistic results. Feed your mind with positivism.
- Take advantage of daily routines and use them to be mindful. For example, while drinking your morning tea you could notice the delicate flavor; feel the warmth; perceive the aroma; etc.
- Yoga and meditation also are excellent to train your mind to focus.
- Remember to be grateful and breathe deeply during the day; it helps to shift our focus and quiet the mind.
I invite you to live intentionally, take action and be persistent to develop the habit of focus. It is worthy. We either focus on what it isn’t working or we focus on productive things. The amount of time and effort is the same. As Coco Chanel said, “Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.”
Do you know someone who could benefit from this? This could be a message that someone you love needs to read today, so please share on your favorite social media.